Here, Charles Joly, James Beard Award–winning bartender and co-founder of Crafthouse Cocktails, shares his recipe for a variation on the classic cocktail the Negroni. In his version, the drink gets a bubbly burst of citrus flavor from a splash of grapefruit soda.
- 1 1/2 oz. (45 ml) Tanqueray No. Ten gin
- 3/4 oz. (20 ml) Aperol
- 3/4 oz. (20 ml) sweet vermouth
- 1/4 oz. (7 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Splash of San Pellegrino grapefruit soda
- Grapefruit twist for garnish
- Fresh thyme sprig for garnish
In a highball glass filled with ice, combine the gin, Aperol, sweet vermouth and lemon juice. Top off with the grapefruit soda and stir gently to combine. Twist the grapefruit twist over the drink, garnish with the thyme sprig and serve immediately. Makes 1 drink.
Recipe courtesy of Charles Joly of Crafthouse Cocktails