Shun Kaji Chef’s Knives
- Special Offer
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
From our premium Kaji line by Shun, these chef's knives are indispensable for chopping, dicing, mincing and slicing fruits and vegetables. Crafted in Japan, their strong, razor-sharp blades merge new technology and centuries-old handcrafting traditions.
- 65-layer blade features a premium SG-2 powdered steel cutting core clad in 64 layers of forged nickel/stainless steel Damascus.
- Inspired by centuries-old samurai sword–making techniques, the blades' construction creates a supersharp cutting edge.
- Handles are made of moisture-resistant, resin-infused PakkaWood, shaped for comfort and control.
- These NSF-certified knives meet the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- A Williams Sonoma exclusive.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 6" chef's knife: 6"-long blade; 5 1/2"-long handle; 6.2 oz.
- 8" chef's knife: 8"-long blade; 5 1/2"-long handle; 8.8 oz.
- 10" chef's knife: 10"-long blade; 5 1/2"-long handle; 10.2 oz.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
Next Day Delivery
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by 1111 from Cooking is fun agin! The Shun Kaji knives are great. The weight and size is perfect for my hand and the blade holds it's edge well. They are easy to keep clean and I have them on my counter in their wood block holder on display and at hand. The Chef Knife is my latest purchase and completes my essential collection. They are expensive, but the quality is worth it.Date published: 2016-07-27Rated 5 out of 5 by WBR1 from The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer! The sharpness takes some getting used to, but once you do, it is a perfect knife.Date published: 2014-06-13Rated 3 out of 5 by StrengthEngineer from Poor Quality Handle and Chipped Blade Bought two Shun Kaji (small chef and small Nakiri) at a Williams Sonoma store that was going out of business for 40% off with an additional 10% off due to a small chip (0.125 inch long by the 0.005") in the Nakiri. Neither knife was as sharp as they should have been and both knives had handles with poor fit. Was able to easily sharpen both which removed chip. Also highly recommend the hollow ground indentations for lower friction. Although the chefs knife was new in the box, it had light scratches perpendicular to the blade. Recommend a close inspection before purchasing for tiny tip breakage, edge burrs, scratches, and poor handle fit-up. Both knives are beautiful and very sharp, but the extremely thin blade is going to be fragile, so use caution.Date published: 2014-03-23Rated 5 out of 5 by AnnaSinclaire from Pry it from my cold dead hands. I've owned the this knife for four years, two years of restaurant use, and as the review title says, you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Having used it heavily for years, I'm a huge, HUGE fan. The casual user must understand that you can't get away with just whacking this knife against a steel willy-nilly and expect that you'll get a sharp knife, but as long as you either know something about sharpening knives or let the pros handle the job and get the knife sharpened every 6 months or so, this is a knife I would unconditionally recommend. Super sharp, holds its edge well, and very durable.Date published: 2013-11-30Rated 2 out of 5 by Jkennedy from It chipped badly I was happy with it out of the box and it held its edge without needing sharpening for several months. However this knife will not stand up to rigorous use. there is actually an inch long chip out of mine near the wider end of the blade. I'm still using it but now I make sure that it only gets used for easy cuts.Date published: 2013-11-05Rated 4 out of 5 by JSS1 from Overall, very good As a woodworker who appreciates the genius of fine Japanese tools, I naturally took to this knife. Out of the box, it has the heft and balance of a serious, professional quality tool. Much better than average grade Shun knives. I would give it a "5" except that it was not surgically sharp as a fine Japanese knife must be. I had to hone it myself and that was annoying for a knife in this price category. Overall, though, I strongly recommend this knife as a tool that will last a lifetime.Date published: 2013-08-03Rated 5 out of 5 by Kangofumarsha from An amazing knife! I have purchased less expensive knives in the past, only to be disappointed after a few months when the sharpness of the knife wears off. No amount of sharpening keep the cheaper knives sharp. I decided to splurge on the Kaji knife after I tried it at my D-I-L's house. Absolutely amazing. The knife is incredibly sharp and maintain it's sharp edge with a minimum of maintenance. Hand wash and dry after each use, but be very careful when handling. I've been purchasing the Kaji knives one at a time and as soon as the price comes down, I will be purchasing the whole set!Date published: 2012-07-13