Shun Classic Western Chef's Knife
- Special Offer
Easy, hassle-free returns online and in-store for eligible items.Learn More
Earn $50 in reward dollars4 for every $500 spent on your Williams Sonoma Credit Card through July 22. Learn More
Combining the best of two knife-making traditions, this knife from our Shun Classic line has a thicker blade than traditional Japanese cutlery and a 22-degree cutting edge modeled after European chef's knives. The thicker, heftier blade allows it be used for heavy-duty cutting tasks while still offering the superb edge retention of the Shun Classic VG-Max "super steel" blade.
- Japanese-made chef’s knife with the 22-degree blade-edge angle of Western kitchen cutlery.
- Appropriate for tasks such as cleaving, cutting through chicken bones, cracking crab shells and preparing melon fruits with thick rinds.
- Thick, strong blade offers more belly curve for rocking cuts.
- Broad blade is useful for transferring chopped foods from cutting board to pot.
- VG-MAX "super steel" blade is clad on each side with 34 microthin layers of stainless steel, creating a variegated look reminiscent of a Damascus-style blade.
- Durable PakkaWood handle resists moisture and is D-shaped to sit comfortably in the hand.
- Extra weight in stainless-steel bolster balances the heavy blade.
- 6" knife: 6"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 6.8 oz.
- 8" knife: 8 1/4"-long blade, 5"-long handle; 8 oz.
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 22-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within 3-5 business days of our receiving your order.
Next Day Delivery
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners, and knife storage) please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by corpkid from The best knife I've ever used! I received the 8" model for Christmas (THANK YOU DAD) and I'm never going back. It is incredibly sharp, and stays that way if you don't abuse it (e.g. I always hand-wash this). The balance and grip are so much better than my old chef's knife, and it just feels comfortable, even for tedious jobs. I entertain large groups often, and I'm always a little worried when someone grabs one of these knives as even I've knicked/sliced my fingers a few times, but everyone agrees - these knives are where it is at. I love them so much I have bought 4 other shun classic knives to complete my set.Date published: 2019-05-30Rated 4 out of 5 by edawg from edawgs review this knife is terrific. I've never had a better knife. Best knife ever.Date published: 2016-08-18Rated 5 out of 5 by Rippenstein from Incredible blade I had been looking for a great chefs knife at the right price for a while. A knife I could keep for a long time with a good blade which would stay sharp given good care on my part. Over a year ago, I saw the Shun Classic Western Cooks "8 knife in a catalog. I went to a local store to check out knives. I looked at Wustoff, Global, Shun, etc. I was impressed with the good balance but light, nimble feel of the knife in my hand. I knew this was the knife. I I saved pennies, nickels quarters and asked for donations, lol. Unbeknownst to me, my wife and best friend chipped in together and bought the knife for me for a Christmas gift. This knife is awesome. Super sharp out of the box. Used it the day after Christmas. Shun makes a great knife. Well worth the money.Date published: 2016-01-12Rated 5 out of 5 by TauntingElf from Versatile and Durable Having cooked on a line for a few years on and off, I bought this once I started up again last year. Needless to say this knife is the star of the kitchen and it has inspired other knife purchases to rival it. It still stands as the most durable and useful knife there. As long as you treat it right, it will keep an edge for a long time.Date published: 2015-01-31Rated 5 out of 5 by ErinLeighD from Fantastic in Every Way My Shun Classic Western Chef's Knife has withstood a year of heavy, daily use, and I love it just as much today as the day I took it out of the box. The handle is comfortable for my small hands, and the knife is remarkably light. The chef's knife also holds its edge much better than any other knife I've owned. After my bad experience sending the knife to the Kai USA factory for sharpening, I was worried that the knife wouldn't hold its edge, but I've found a great local service to keep my Shun razor sharp.Date published: 2014-12-14Rated 5 out of 5 by darnolddawg from Beauty and Classic Shun Quality This is my go-to chef's knife for 90% of the cooking I do. Great balance, light weight, well balanced, nimble and holds an edge well. Beyond its usefulness, the fit and finish on this knife are top shelf. A real pleasure to use and to look at. With reasonable care, should be an heirloom.Date published: 2014-08-07Rated 5 out of 5 by ThumperPup from Sharp Sharp Sharp wow this so far is awesome i love it iv only used it once right out of the box it was perfect ill come back and edit this over the next few weeks and post how i feel about it but had to give this right now its awesome i love the wester blade nice size in the 8 inch and i love the asian handle perfect for my right handDate published: 2014-03-19Rated 5 out of 5 by hometheaterguy from Shun Classic Western Chefs Knife We have owned this knife for three years now and it still is my "go to" knife for so many needs. It keeps its edge a very long time and can cut as thin as you like. Most folks hear about how much knives like this cost and snub their nose and start mentioning cheaper alternatives until they come to my house and use it. I had one friend turn around and purchase an entire set after using this knife. Great job Shun!Date published: 2013-12-11