Wild Mushroom Ragout
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus parsley sprigs for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh button mushrooms, brushed clean and halved
- 1 lb. mixed fresh wild and/or cultivated mushrooms (see note), trimmed, brushed clean and cut into pieces the same size as the button mushroom halves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine the chopped parsley and the garlic on a cutting board and continue to chop together until very finely minced. Set aside.
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add all the mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the reduced chicken stock, the cream and garlic-parsley mixture and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half or until nicely thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, transfer the mushrooms to a warmed serving dish, garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately.