Whole Wheat Waffles with Sautéed Pears
Rise and shine to a hearty homemade breakfast of whole wheat waffles topped with sautéed pears and toasted pecans. Our waffle mix streamlines prep, so this delicious meal is doable even on weekday mornings.
- 2 1/3 cups (9 oz./280 g) whole wheat pancake and waffle mix
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups (20 fl. oz./625 ml) buttermilk
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter, melted, plus 2
- 3 Anjou pears, peeled, cored and each cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (3 fl. oz./85 ml) maple syrup
- Toasted pecans for garnish
Using the mix, eggs, buttermilk and the 4 Tbs. melted butter, prepare the batter and cook the waffles according to the package instructions. Keep warm.
In a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the 2 Tbs. butter. Add the pears and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the maple syrup and cook until slightly reduced, 30 to 60 seconds.
Spoon the pears and sauce over the waffles. Garnish with pecans and serve immediately. Serves 4.