Watercress, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette
- 3 firm but ripe Bartlett pears
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 or 3 bunches watercress, long stems removed
(about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup moist dried pitted sweet cherries
For the vinaigrette:
- 6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 oz. semifirm mild-aged goat cheese (chèvre),
cut into small pieces
As the pears are cut, place them in a large bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Add the watercress and cherries.
To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper until blended.
Drizzle the vinaigrette over the watercress mixture, then toss to coat evenly. Divide the salad among individual plates. Add the goat cheese to the salads, distributing it evenly. Serve immediately.