- 2 large leeks, trimmed and carefully washed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. white peppercorns
- Salt, to taste
Over low to medium heat, slowly bring the liquid to a simmer, regularly skimming off the scum that rises to the surface until no more forms. Add the white peppercorns, cover partially and continue simmering for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Line a strainer with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and set it inside a large bowl. Pour the contents of the pot into the strainer. Discard the solids. Season the stock with salt and let cool to room temperature. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to several days, or freeze for up to 6 months.