Trenette with Potatoes, Green Beans and Pesto (Trenette al Pesto)
For the pesto:
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of coarse salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 lb. new potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 lb. thin green beans, trimmed
- 1 lb. trenette or linguine
Meanwhile, bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Salt generously, add the potatoes and green beans and cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 8 minutes. Using a skimmer, transfer the vegetables to a warmed serving bowl and keep warm.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook, stirring frequently, until al dente (tender but firm to the bite). Drain the pasta, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
Add the pasta and the pesto to the vegetables. Toss well, adding the reserved pasta water as needed to thin the sauce. Serve immediately.