Tomato and Cucumber Salad
This salad is reminiscent of deli-style Greek versions. Use the freshest, most flavorful tomatoes you can find.
- 1 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- One 6-inch piece English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 sweet onion such as Maui, Vidalia or Walla Walla, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese
- 2 Tbs. sliced, pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic and salt and toss gently to mix. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Add the cucumber, onion, cheese and olives to the tomato mixture, then sprinkle with the vinegar and toss to mix. Season with pepper and stir to blend. Serve the salad at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Healthful Cooking, by Mary Abbott Hess, Dana Jacobi & Marie Simmons (Oxmoor House, 2003).