Toasted Breakfast Sandwich
Made with crispy bacon, fried eggs and cheddar cheese, this sandwich is perfect for quick morning meals. Fresh arugula adds a peppery note.
- 8 slices sweet batard or rustic country-style bread, cut on the bias, each about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches wide
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 bacon slices, cooked until crispy
- 1 oz. arugula
Toast the bread in a toaster and spread the butter on one side of each slice. Top 4 of the slices with the cheese, dividing evenly. Set aside.
In a 12-inch nonstick griddle or fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Break 2 eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set and the edges of the yolks are just beginning to set, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining 2 eggs.
Place 1 egg on top of each cheese-topped bread slice, followed by 2 bacon slices. Arrange the arugula on top. Cover each sandwich with one of the remaining bread slices, buttered side down. Serve immediately. Serves 4.