Three-Bean and Corn Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup dried red beans, such as kidney
- 1/2 cup dried cannellini or Great Northern beans
- 1/2 cup dried black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (cut from about 2 ears)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 whole red bell pepper, or 1/2 each red bell
pepper and green bell pepper, seeded and
- 1/3 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1/4 cup tomato salsa
- 2 to 3 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Drain and place each variety in a saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 45 minutes for red beans, about 50 minutes for cannellini or Great Northern, and about 60 minutes for black beans. The cooking times will depend on the type and age of the beans. Drain, rinse and let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan two-thirds full of water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn kernels and blanch for about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold running water to halt the cooking and drain again.
In a bowl, combine all the beans with the corn, green onions and bell pepper. Mix well.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, salsa, vinegar, to taste, garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the bean mixture and stir to mix. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Just before serving, garnish with the cilantro.