Stir-Fried Asparagus with Shiitakes and Sesame Seeds
This quick dish pairs tender asparagus with meaty shiitake mushrooms for a satisfying vegetable stir-fry. Sesame seeds are densely nutritious and offer an array of health benefits, including cholesterol-lowering potential.
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 3 Tbs. canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps brushed clean
and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or sake
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
Cut the asparagus on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces.
In a large fry pan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring constantly, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the wine, broth and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is reduced to a saucelike consistency and all the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in the sesame seeds, transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Good for You, by Dana Jacobi (Weldon Owen, 2013).