- 1 baguette, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil for baking, plus 1/4 cup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 New York strip steak, about 1 lb., trimmed of all fat
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. pitted and finely chopped oil-cured or Kalamata olives
- 1/2 Tbs. coarsely chopped capers
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, green portions only
On a clean work surface, dice the steak into 1/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a mixing bowl and refrigerate.
In another mixing bowl, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper, and whisk to blend. Add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth and blended.
Add the dressing to the steak along with the parsley, olives, capers and green onion. Toss gently to mix, and season with salt and pepper. On a chilled serving platter, spoon half of the steak tartare into a small mound, arrange the crostini alongside the tartare and serve; keep the remaining steak tartare refrigerated and replenish as needed.