Split Pea Soup with Andouille Sausage
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups yellow split peas, picked over, rinsed and
- 1/2 lb. andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Add the split peas, 1/2 cup of the diced sausage, the stock, bay leaf and 4 cups water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pot so the peas do not scorch, until the peas are tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Using a handheld or standing blender, coarsely puree the soup, making sure to leave some texture. Return to medium-low heat, add the remaining sausage and cook until the sausage is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 8.