Spicy Peanut Sauce
This piquant sauce is excellent with grilled chicken skewers and flank steak.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbs. all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
- 1 Tbs. seedless tamarind paste, or 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. green curry paste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced, then crushed to a paste
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, peanuts, peanut butter, fish sauce, tamarind paste, brown sugar, curry paste, paprika and garlic. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly to blend the ingredients thoroughly. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 2 cups.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Grill Master, by Fred Thompson (Weldon Owen, 2011).