Spanish Tortilla with Chorizo
- 7 oz. fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups shredded Manchego cheese
In the deep half of the frittata pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are lightly browned and almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and tender, 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then stir in the chorizo, the potato-onion mixture and the 1/4 cup parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Set the deep half of the frittata pan over medium heat and pour in the egg mixture. Place the shallow pan upside down on top of the deep pan and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 12 minutes. Uncover the pan and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the eggs. Cover with the shallow pan and cook for 3 minutes more. Holding the pans together, flip the tortilla into the shallow pan and cook, covered, until the eggs are set, 3 to 4 minutes.
Uncover the pan and, using a spatula, loosen the edges of the tortilla. Invert a large plate over the pan, hold the plate and pan firmly together and invert the tortilla, cheese side up, onto the plate. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serves 8 to 10.
Adapted from a recipe by Michelle Bernstein, Chef, Michy's, Miami, FL.