An Italian classic, this flavorful pasta sauce known as puttanesca combines tomatoes, onions, capers, black olives anchovies, oregano and garlic; a dash of red pepper flakes adds a spicy kick.
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced anchovy fillet
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 cans (each 14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 4 tsp. minced fresh basil
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh spaghetti, cooked until al dente
In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic, anchovy and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the capers and olives and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the oregano, basil, parsley and black pepper. Toss the sauce with the pasta and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.