In Spain's picturesque Basque hill country, restaurant chefs use mesh fry pans to sauté vegetables on an outdoor grill, a technique that imbues the food with enticing smoky flavor. Here, we use this same method to prepare a medley of summer vegetables. They're the perfect accompaniment to our Spanish Steak.
- 2 zucchini, cut diagonally into slices 1/4 inch
- 10 green onions, white and light green portions,
cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a bowl, combine the zucchini, green onions, bell pepper, the 2 Tbs. olive oil, salt and pepper and stir to coat evenly. Transfer the vegetables to a mesh fry pan.
Place the pan on the grill and cook the vegetables, tossing often, until they are tender and the green onions are slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a warmed serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 2 to 4.