Shrimp and Cabbage Slaw with Chili Sauce and Lime
Toss this colorful salad thoroughly before serving so that the crunchy shreds of cabbage are well coated with the tangy dressing. Lime juice, fish sauce and a little sugar give it a sweet-sour-salty kick. For a shortcut, use preshredded cabbage, available in the salad section of the supermarket.
- 3 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. Asian red chili paste
- 1 lb. cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 4 cups finely shredded green or savoy cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
In a large bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice, sugar and chili paste until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is well blended.
Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and add to the dressing along with the red cabbage, green cabbage, cilantro and peanuts. Stir well and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir well again. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Eat Well, by Charity Ferreira (Oxmoor House, 2008).