Seared Scallops with Spicy Aioli
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pounded to a paste
- 3 to 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp. toasted ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp. toasted ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed, stems peeled
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 lb. large diver scallops
In a bowl, toss the asparagus with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grill the asparagus, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a platter and toss with 1 to 2 tsp. lemon juice. Cover with aluminum foil.
Season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper. In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil until just smoking. Add the scallops and cook, turning once, until golden brown and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Arrange the scallops on the platter alongside the asparagus. Serve immediately with the aioli. Serves 4 to 6.