Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Chiles and Herbed Yogurt Sauce
Looking for something lighter and healthier than your usual Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, which are typically sweetened with brown sugar and topped with marshmallows? Try this simple dish, which gets a kick of heat from Calabrian chiles. These simple sweet potatoes are also a perfect match for many grilled and roasted meats, such as juicy lamb burgers or a roasted pork loin.
- 3 small sweet potatoes, about 2 lb. (1 kg) total, each cut
lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 3/4 cup (6 oz./180 g) plain yogurt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh mint, plus a handful of small mint
leaves for garnish
- Williams-Sonoma Calabrian Chiles in Oil, to taste
Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C).
Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to evenly coat, then spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer. Roast the sweet potatoes, turning every 10 minutes, until evenly browned and tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 40 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the yogurt sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, parsley, chopped mint, the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
Transfer the sweet potatoes to a serving platter. Dab the Calabrian chiles to taste on top and sprinkle with the mint leaves. Serve immediately with the yogurt sauce alongside. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen