Red Snapper Ceviche
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 lb. red snapper fillet
- 12 cherry tomatoes, stems removed and quartered
- 1 small, ripe Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and
- 1/2 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 cup cubed English cucumber
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. lemon or lime-flavored olive oil
- 4 fresh mint or cilantro sprigs
In a nonaluminum bowl, stir together the orange, lemon and lime juices. Season with salt and enough sugar to balance the acid of the citrus juices.
Check the fish fillet for errant bones, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to the citrus juice mixture, immersing the fish completely. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, avocado, onion, cucumber, chiles, to taste, mint and cilantro and stir gently to combine.
Transfer the fish to a colander and let drain for several seconds, then add the fish to the tomato mixture and mix gently. Drizzle with the oil, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt.
Divide the ceviche among martini glasses or small glass bowls and garnish with the mint sprigs. Serve immediately.