Watermelon Radish Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette
Creamy white on the outside, the large watermelon radish has a colorful rose color inside and mild, crisp flesh. Here, the radish is thinly sliced, then tossed with romaine lettuce, cilantro and an avocado vinaigrette to create a refreshing salad.
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, dark outer leaves cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a small bowl, stir together the shallot, the 1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice, the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Gently stir in the avocado, season with salt and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the olive oil to make a vinaigrette.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, radish and cilantro. Stir in the vinaigrette and drizzle over the salad. Toss gently and season with salt and more lemon juice, if needed. Transfer the salad to individual plates and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers’ Market, by Tasha DeSerio & Jodi Liano (Weldon Owen, 2010).