Purple Belgian Endive & Crab Salad
- Leaves from 2 heads purple-tipped Belgian
endive or regular Belgian endive
- 4 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 lb. fresh or thawed frozen lump crabmeat
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. capers, chopped
- 2 drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
In a bowl, combine the vinegar, crabmeat, tarragon, olive oil, mayonnaise, capers, Tabasco and lemon juice, and season with the salt and pepper. Divide the crab mixture equally among the plates, mounding it on the beds of chopped endive. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Starters, by Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2006).