Pumpkin Lasagna with Fontina
This hearty lasagna is perfect for that transitional time, when late-summer produce is winding down and the first fall vegetables appear at farmers’ markets. Combining yellow squash, zucchini and pumpkin, the dish comes together quickly, thanks to our ready-to-use pasta sauce.
- 1 lb. (500 g) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbs. julienned fresh sage
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow summer squash, cut into rounds 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (24 oz./680 g) pumpkin Parmesan pasta sauce
- 12 sheets dried ruffle-edged lasagna noodles, cooked until al
- 1 lb. (500 g) Italian fontina cheese, shredded
Preheat an oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, sage, 3 Tbs. of the parsley and the garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the yellow squash and zucchini with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast until tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in an oval Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the yellow squash and zucchini. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).
Spread 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) pasta sauce in an even layer on the bottom of the Dutch oven. Arrange a single layer of lasagna noodles on top, tearing them as needed to fit. Spread 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) ricotta mixture on the noodles and scatter 1 cup (5 oz./155 g) vegetable mixture on top. Spread 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) pasta sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) fontina on top. Layer the noodles, ricotta, vegetables, sauce and fontina 3 more times, omitting the sauce and fontina on the last layer. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and fontina.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted and browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 Tbs. parsley on top. Let the lasagna rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 8 to 10.