Pressed Breakfast Burritos
Begin your day with these hearty burritos, chock-full of scrambled eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese and other savory ingredients. Cooked to crispy perfection on a panini press, they’re sure to become favorites in your household.
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 2 large avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled until tender and diced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices
- 12 eggs
- 6 large burrito-style flour tortillas
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Sour cream and salsa for serving
Put the jalapeño, garlic, lime juice and the 1/2 tsp. salt in a molcajete or small bowl. Smash with a pestle or a fork to a coarse paste. Add the avocados and cilantro and mix and mash, leaving some lumps. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Set the guacamole aside.
In a large nonstick fry pan over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the red and green bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Preheat an electric panini press on the “panini” setting. Place the bacon on the press and close the lid. Cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Wipe off the press.
In a bowl, beat together the eggs, salt and pepper. In a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally, until curds form, 2 to 3 minutes. Place a large spoonful of the scrambled eggs in the center of each tortilla. Top each with some of the bell pepper mixture, 1 crumbled bacon slice and 1 oz. cheese. Roll into a burrito and lightly brush the outside with olive oil.
Place 2 burritos on the panini press and close the lid. Cook until crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat to cook the remaining burritos. Serve immediately with guacamole, sour cream and salsa. Serves 6.