- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lb. red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef rump roast, 3 to 4 lb.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Season the roast with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a large bowl, add the roast and toss to coat evenly.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until nearly smoking. Add the roast and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 6 hours according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer the roast to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the meat and arrange on a warmed platter. Remove the bay leaf and serve the vegetables and sauce alongside.