Portobello Mushroom and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 Tbs. aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 portobello mushrooms, about 1 1/2 lb.
total, brushed clean and stems removed
- 6 round sourdough rolls, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled goat cheese (chèvre)
- 12 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and
sliced in half
- 24 fresh basil leaves
Prepare a fire in a grill. Lightly oil the grill rack. When the coals are hot, remove the mushrooms from the marinade, place on the grill rack and weight with a large fry pan. Grill the mushrooms until tender and seared on both sides, about 4 minutes total.
Drizzle about 1 Tbs. of the reserved marinade on each roll half. Place a mushroom on the bottom half of each roll. Sprinkle the top half with goat cheese, then cover with sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves. Place the halves together. Secure each sandwich with toothpicks, cut in half and wrap in aluminum foil. Keep chilled until ready to serve.