Pork Lo Mein
- 1 Tbs. salt, plus more, to taste
- 3/4 lb. dried lo mein noodles or spaghetti
- 3 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbs. dry sherry
- 2 cups shredded roast pork (see related recipe
- 4 green onions, white and pale green parts only,
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the 1 Tbs. salt and the noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the noodles are al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain well and set aside.
Make the sauce
Meanwhile, in a fry pan or saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and carrots and stir to incorporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sherry. Add the pork and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
Assemble the lo mein
Add the noodles to the pan, sprinkle with the green onions and toss well to combine. Season with salt and serve directly from the pan. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Simple Suppers, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2007).