Plum and Nectarine Sangria
Look for plums and nectarines that are ripe but still firm to ensure that they do not become too soft when soaked in the wine. Rinse the fruits well to remove any surface chemicals before slicing them. Use a dry white Rioja or Sauvignon Blanc for the wine.
- 3 plums, halved, pitted and cut into thin wedges
- 3 nectarines, halved, pitted and cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) nectarine nectar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1 bottle (750ml) dry white wine
- Ice cubes as needed
- 1 bottle (24 fl. oz.) sparkling water, chilled
In a large pitcher, combine the plum wedges, nectarine wedges, nectarine nectar, orange liqueur and wine. Stir well, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours to blend the flavors.
To serve, fill glasses with ice cubes and add the wine mixture, dividing evenly. Top off each glass with sparkling water. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoor Entertaining, by George Dolese (Free Press, 2005).