Pizza for dinner is a proven winner. For a delicious twist, enjoy all the Italian-inspired flavors and melty-cheese appeal with these pressed panini. They make a quick and satisfying meal.
- 1 loaf rosemary slab bread or focaccia, cut in half horizontally,
then crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) marinara sauce
- 6 oz. (185 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup (1 1/4 oz./35 g) thinly sliced red onion
- 8 thin prosciutto slices (about 4 oz./125 g)
- 1 1/2 oz. (45 g) arugula
Preheat an electric panini press on the “panini” setting.
Brush the outside of the bread slices with the olive oil. Lay the slices, cut side up, on a work surface. Spread 2 Tbs. of the marinara sauce on each slice. Top 4 slices with the cheese, then with the onion and prosciutto, dividing evenly. Cover with the remaining bread slices, oiled side up.
Place 2 sandwiches on the panini press, close the lid, and cook until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat to cook the remaining 2 sandwiches. Open the sandwiches and top with the arugula. Serve immediately. Serves 4.