Pistou of Spring Vegetables
- 1⁄2 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed, spears
cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces and blanched
- 1 1⁄2 lb. fava beans, shelled, blanched and
- 1 cup shelled peas, blanched
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as mint
and flat-leaf parsley
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, blanched
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock (see related recipe
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Thinly sliced fresh mint or basil for garnish
- Crème fraîche for garnish
In a large pot over medium heat, warm the 2 Tbs. oil. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved vegetables, the pureed vegetables and enough stock to reach the desired consistency. Heat the soup, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with mint and crème fraîche. Serves 8.
Adapted from a recipe by Dan Barber, chef of Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY.