Pepper and Corn Relish
- About 8 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
- 3 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and finely
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh apple cider or apple juice
In a preserving kettle or other large, heavy pot, combine the corn, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, pepper and cider. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender and bright, 10 to 15 minutes.
Spoon the relish into hot, sterilized canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Using a hot, damp towel, wipe the rims clean. Seal tightly with lids and screw bands. Process the jars in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a wire cooling rack, let cool to room temperature and check for a good seal. Label and store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. If the seal is not good, store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.