Penne with Cauliflower and Capers
- 1⁄2 lb. penne pasta
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 tsp. chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 head cauliflower, about 3⁄4 lb., cut into 1-inch
- 2 Tbs. capers, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter until it is just starting to brown. Add the olive oil, then the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is beginning to caramelize, about 7 minutes. Add the chili flakes and cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the reserved cooking water and cook until the cauliflower is tender, 5 to 7 minutes more, adding more cooking water if needed.
Add the pasta to the sauté pan and stir in the capers, cheese, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4.