- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 lb. plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup pitted and sliced Kalamata, nicoise
or gaeta olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cured anchovy fillets
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb. dried penne pasta
Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies and red pepper flakes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the tomatoes are tender and begin to break down, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Keep the sauce warm.
Bring a large pot two-thirds full of water to a boil. Add salt and the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente (tender but firm to the bite). Drain the pasta, transfer to a large bowl and add the puttanesca sauce; toss gently to mix. Divide the pasta among individual bowls and serve immediately.