Orzo and Vegetable Confetti Salad
- 2 quarts water
- 2 Tbs. salt
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 radishes, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 green onions, green and white portions, thinly
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 slices
In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the 2 Tbs. salt and the orzo and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain the orzo and immediately toss it with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Cover and cool completely in the refrigerator, 1 to 24 hours.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 Tbs. olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the radishes, carrots, green onions, capers, chives, parsley and orzo. Toss to mix well.
To serve, place in a serving bowl or divide among individual plates and garnish with the lemon slices. Serve at room temperature. Serves 6.