Olive Oil-Poached Tuna
- 6 ahi tuna fillets, each 6 oz. and 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salsa verde for serving (see related recipe at left)
- Grilled potatoes with tomatoes and olives for serving (see related recipe
In a deep fry pan over medium heat, combine the olive oil, rosemary, garlic and red pepper flakes and heat to 200° to 225°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
Carefully place 2 or 3 tuna fillets in the oil and cook, turning once if needed, 4 to 6 minutes for rare. (The tuna will continue to cook after being removed from the oil.) Using a slotted spatula, transfer the tuna to a baking sheet. Return the oil to 200° to 225°F and cook the remaining tuna.
Cut the tuna into slices 1/2 inch thick. Serve at room temperature with salsa verde and grilled potatoes with tomatoes and olives. If not serving the tuna immediately, cover the cooked tuna with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to overnight. Remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6.