Mussels a la Mariniere (Steamed Mussels)
- 3 1/2 to 4 lb. mussels, well scrubbed and debearded
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Crusty French bread for serving
If using a regular pot, add the mussels. If using a mussel pot, place the wire grate in the pot and add the mussels. Scatter the parsley over the mussels and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, shaking the pot once or twice, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
Serve the mussels directly from the pot at the table or, using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to 4 warmed soup plates or bowls, dividing them equally. Spoon the broth over the mussels. Accompany with French bread to sop up the juices.