Muesli with Almonds, Coconut and Dried Fruit
The now widely popular cereal called muesli, which originated in Switzerland, is by rough definition a mixture of rolled oats, dried fruit and nuts. This version adds whole-grain heft with puffed brown rice and bran flakes. Pour it over milk or yogurt for a fiber-rich breakfast.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened or lightly sweetened puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened or lightly sweetened bran flakes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3 Tbs. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbs. toasted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup dried cherries or raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Place the oats and almonds on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and toast until fragrant and just starting to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Transfer the oats and almonds to a large bowl. Add the brown rice cereal, bran flakes, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cherries and dates and stir to distribute the ingredients evenly. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Serves 15.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy in a Hurry, by Karen Ansel, MS, RD and Charity Ferreira (Weldon Owen, 2011).