Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 thin slices ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 8 slices country-style or homemade bread, each
3⁄4 inch thick
- Raspberry preserves for serving
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, nutmeg, brown sugar and salt until blended. Pour into a shallow baking dish.
For each sandwich, arrange 2 slices ham and 1 slice cheese on 1 bread slice, then top with another bread slice. Place the sandwiches in the egg mixture and soak for 30 seconds per side.
If desired, lightly brush the griddler with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on the griddler and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until crisp and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with raspberry preserves. Serves 4.