Mixed Garden Bean Salad with Shallots
This recipe combines three kinds of beans—shelling beans, wax beans and haricots verts—into a garden-fresh summer salad.
- 1/2 lb. fresh shelling beans, such as fava beans, shelled
- 1 lb. wax beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 lb. haricots verts, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. ground coriander, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the shelling beans and boil until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a bowl of ice water, then drain. Repeat to cook the wax beans and haricots verts until tender, 7 to 8 minutes for the wax beans and about 5 minutes for the haricots verts. Drain and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar and shallots. Drizzle in the canola oil and whisk continuously. Stir in the lemon zest and coriander, and season with salt and pepper.
Combine all the beans in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and stir to coat. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Serves 6 to 8.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers’ Market, by Tasha DeSerio & Jodi Liano (Weldon Owen, 2010).