Mesclun, Arugula and Fennel Salad with Prosciutto and Pear Vinaigrette
- 2/3 cup pear nectar
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 fennel bulb
- 5 oz. mesclun salad greens
- 1 cup arugula leaves, torn into pieces
- 2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
- 4 ripe figs, quartered through the stem end
- 1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Cut off the stems and feathery tops and any bruised outer stalks from the fennel bulb. Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise and cut away and discard the core. Slice crosswise paper-thin. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the mesclun and arugula. Add half of the dressing and toss well. Divide the greens evenly among individual plates. Top the greens with the fennel, prosciutto and figs and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Using a cheese plane or a vegetable peeler, shave thin slices from the cheese and sprinkle over the salads. Season with pepper and serve.