Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Using our salad starter and a few of your own fresh ingredients allows you to get this healthy salad on the table in about half an hour. Equally good served warm or cold, it makes a perfect picnic dish.
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) water
- 1 package Hearty Salad Starters Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
(includes quinoa and salad seasoning; available at Williams-
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (5 oz./155 g) chopped cucumber
- 1 cup (5 oz./155 g) chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) chopped red onion
- 2 cups (3 oz./90 g) chopped baby kale
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
In a large fry pan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. (Using a fry pan instead of a saucepan will result in fluffier quinoa that is less likely to stick to itself.) Stir in the quinoa and 1/2 tsp. of the salt. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes. Uncover and gently fold the salad seasoning into the quinoa while it is still hot. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes more.
In a salad bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, onion and kale. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, the pepper, lemon juice and olive oil and toss to combine. Add the cooked quinoa and mix well. Serve warm or cold. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen