Mediterranean Potato Salad
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 lb. thin green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/4 lb. red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup canned chickpeas or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 4 Sicilian or other green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the 1 Tbs. salt and the green beans, and cook until bright green and tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain the beans and place in a large bowl.
Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes, then drain. Add the potatoes to the beans.
Assemble the salad
Add the chickpeas, onion, parsley, mint, olives and capers to the green beans and potatoes. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, the 1 tsp. salt and the pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well coated, then serve. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Vegetarian, by Dana Jacobi (Oxmoor House, 2007).