- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb. chorizo sausage, sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 1⁄4 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1⁄4 tsp. saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 littleneck clams
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir until opaque, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add 4 cups of the stock, the saffron, bay leaf, oregano, sausage, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until almost all the stock is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Add the peas and shrimp, stir, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over high heat, combine the remaining 1/4 cup stock and the clams. Cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until all the clams have opened, about 5 minutes; discard any that do not open. Add the clams and cooking liquid to the rice mixture. Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives and serve immediately.