Our version of this all-American favorite is dressed with homemade mayonnaise seasoned with paprika and two kinds of mustard. Great for picnics and potlucks, macaroni salad also makes a wonderful accompaniment to our Grilled Pork Chops.
- 1/2 lb. elbow pasta, cooked, drained well and cooled
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, stir together the pasta, celery, onion, bell pepper and chives. Set aside.
Put the egg yolks and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Using an immersion blender, process until well mixed. With the blender running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream and process until the mixture is thick and emulsified, then blend in the water. Stir in the whole-grain mustard, parsley and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the pasta mixture and stir until well combined. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.