Lima Beans with Ham
- 1 lean ham hock, about 1/4 lb.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick
- 6 small white boiling onions, cut in half
- 2 cups freshly shelled or thawed, frozen lima beans
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add the ham and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring to brown on all sides. Stir in the sage and parsley. Add the tomato, pour in the broth and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the carrots and onions and stir well. Bring to a boil and add the lima beans. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Uncover, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook over medium-high heat until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.