Layered Chicken Three-Cheese Enchilada
Use your favorite enchilada sauce to prepare this recipe, which layers corn tortillas, chicken and three kinds of cheese into one hearty casserole.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 3/4 cups red enchilada sauce
- 9 corn tortillas, each about 6 inches in diameter
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onion tops for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
In a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Add the chicken to the onion and stir well to combine.
Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 3 1/2-quart round wide Dutch oven. Arrange 3 tortillas in a single layer on the sauce, overlapping them as needed to cover the sauce. Top with a generous 1 cup of the chicken-onion mixture, 1/2 cup of the sauce and 1/4 cup of each cheese. Repeat the layering 2 more times, alternating the direction of the tortilla layers and finishing with 1/2 cup sauce and 1/4 cup of each cheese.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the ingredients are heated through and the cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with green onions and cilantro. Serves 4 to 6.