Kale Salad with Quinoa, Pistachios and Pomegranate Seeds
Tuscan kale, also known as dinosaur kale, lacinato kale and cavolo nero, is abundant at farmers’ markets in the fall and winter, making this pretty salad studded with bright red pomegranate seeds the perfect side dish for a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast. Unlike most salads, it should be dressed about 30 minutes in advance, which allows the kale to soften slightly.
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, stems removed and discarded and
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) pomegranate seeds
In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1/4 tsp. pepper.
About 30 minutes before serving, in a large bowl, combine the kale and half of the vinaigrette. Toss to evenly coat the kale. Set aside.
When ready to serve, add the quinoa, red onion, pistachios and pomegranate seeds to the kale and toss to combine. Taste and add more vinaigrette if desired, tossing to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen