Kale Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing
This nutritious (and delicious) salad relies on kale instead of the more traditional lettuce. Torn croutons add a rustic touch to the dish.
- 2 cups torn country-style bread (1/2-inch pieces)
- Olive oil as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 lb. Tuscan kale, stems removed, leaves cut into chiffonade
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Arrange the bread on the prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake until the croutons are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, mustard, lemon zest and pepper. Put the kale in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to coat. Top with the croutons and cherry tomatoes and garnish with cheese. Serve the remaining dressing alongside. Serves 4.